Sunday, February 6, 2011

Late Start

Mom and Dad didn't show up until about 11.  I moved some stuff into the house, put peel-and-stick tiles on the shelf I made yesterday, and attached cleats to the wall above the non-cabinet for the countertop to rest on.  At this point, I was starting to worry about Mom and Dad and gave them a call.  They were just leaving.  I took a brief break and then attempted to find the studs in the dining room.  Dad had difficulty a few weeks ago when he was doing some electrical work in the wall.  It was a bear.  According to the stud finder, there are studs just about every 6 inches or so.  Definitely not the case.  Going lower on the wall, I eventually got reasonable readings.  I double-checked with nails, just to be on the safe side.

After Mom and Dad arrived, we went to the store and I bought inexpensive countertops.  They're solid wood and only $3.75 a square foot!!!

We got home, ate lunch, and got to work.  Mom kept working on the green ceiling board from yesterday.  She alternated between that and taking out the cardboard from the cabinets.  She used stripper, but the board is still green.  We may have to stain it brown.

I applied the first coat of oil to one of my countertops.


Dad fixed the two drawers that weren't working properly.  After those tasks were done, Dad and I built a little stand to put under the cabinets for the dining room.  I'm putting wall cabinets there, but at ground level to be like a built-in buffet unit.  Then we installed them in the corner.


There will be doors, but they'll get in the way when we install the floor, so we'll add them after the floor is in.

We then put up the cabinet over the sink.  The kitchen sure is coming along!

No comments:

Post a Comment