Sunday, April 17, 2011

Three Days, Three Windows

Friday morning.  While Mom got dinner started in the crockpot, Dad and I installed the replacement window in the study.  It was generally an easy process.  First was to remove the window, but not the frame, of the one that was there already.  The slider came out easily.  Getting the fixed one out proved more troublesome, but we eventually prevailed.


The replacement window sits right on the frame of the original.  We just put it in and screwed it into the sides. Pretty easy.


We then made a list of jobs still needing completion.  After lunch, we hung the last remaining kitchen cabinet.  I hadn't originally gotten one for the space, but it looked incomplete.  Better now.  (Sorry, no pic.)

Saturday we started working on the master bedroom.  First up, taking off the drywall from the back wall.  The end goal was to replace the window there, but, when we first did some research on the window, we discovered that it wasn't original and that the idiots who did it cut studs and diagonal bracing without transferring the load anywhere.  We need to rectify that.


At this point, I did some work outside (planting tomatoes and cutting up branches) while Dad built a new frame for the new window.  Here's Mom and Dad installing it.


Shortly after this, we had dinner and I left for my evening plans.  Mom and Dad, being the awesome people they are, stayed and finished installing the window.  This is what I discovered when I got home.



You can see that the new window is a different size than the old one.  Once we've got the windows in the whole house installed, we'll restucco around them and make it look nice and neat.

It was off to soccer for me Sunday morning.  When I arrived home, Mom and Dad had already taken out the other window in the master bedroom.  After lunch, Mom and I started putting up OSB (plywood) on the wall from Saturday.  That's how we're overcoming the cut cross-bracing.  It will add a lot of shear strength to the wall.  Dad created the new frame during that time.  Once the frame was installed, Mom (our flashing expert) put the window flashing around the hole.


I cut up more branches during this time.  Also, Dad and I hung more OSB.


Once Mom; finished flashing, Dad and I installed the window.  I made sure it was level on the inside.  Dad nailed it from the outside.


We accomplished a lot this weekend.  And.....it's going to keep happening.  Mom and Dad are spending their spring break working on my house!  I so wish I didn't have to go to work - I'd so prefer working on the house - but I've got to earn an income.  My parents are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment