Saturday, December 18, 2010

Frozen Noses No More

Friday started off with a trip to the flooring store.  I had already decided which line of laminate I wanted for the kitchen/living/hall.  I picked up the sample pack so I could coordinate with my cabinets.  That was done easily enough - the one I liked from the beginning went beautifully.

So, Mom and Dad came when I did the actual ordering.  I also ordered the linoleum I had picked out for the bathroom.  This process was pretty easy.  Dad got to play with Rex, the dog, while things were being ordered.  The laminate should be here early next week and the linoleum in about 1.5 weeks.  Who hoo!!

Leaving the floor store, we stopped and got some plumbing supplies for the leaking toilet and the not-yet-up-to-code water heater.

I worked on connecting the heater to the thermostat so that we'd have heat and be one step closer to passing the city inspection.  Dad finished the stand for the water heater.  Mom worked on taking down some of the garage 'door' so that a new, and real, one can replace it.

I ran the wire down the hall, hiding it under baseboards, up the wall underneath the bathroom door molding.  I then had to cut a little pocket out of the drywall for the wire leading to the thermostat itself.  Used a hammer and chisel and made a slot the perfect size.  It will be easy to patch over it when we get to fixing the millions of holes in the house.

After Dad finished the sand, he got some parts soldered together that he'll be needing today.  He also attempted to fix the leaky toilet.  Alas, the part we purchased isn't quite the right size, so we'll have to try again.  And keeping flushing the toilet using the large bucket of water.

Mom pretty much got the garage 'door' ready, so my task, once I finish writing this post, will be to do some research on local garage door companies and find one to do the job.  Dad has done this before and has come to the conclusion that it is one of the few jobs that is worth paying someone to do.  Without the specialized equipment, getting them up is a giant pain that we're going to avoid.

1 comment: