Friday, December 10, 2010

Got Gas?

So, as previously mentioned, my house had the gas shut off - in a semi-permanent manner by the gas company. When I registered the utilities in my name, they made an appointment to come out Wednesday to get it turned on. The ridiculous window they gave was from 8:00 to 8:00. Seeing as I'm at work the overwhelming majority of those hours and as Dad is wonderful, he did some work at the house while waiting for the guy. (Actually, I was there in the morning in the off chance that I was the first house. No luck.)

Wednesday evening I got the following email from Dad:

"The gas people came, but they could not hook up the gas meter because the pipe is plugged with a special plug that the service man had never seen before and did not have the tool to remove. He went to Granger and showed them a pic of it and they said it was called "Seven Point Security Plug" but did not know where to get a tool for it locally. He will come back tomorrow after 11:00 with his boss to see if they can figure something out. I will come back tomorrow also and work on the other door."

Wow! I was laughing as I read this. The gas company doesn't know how to remove the plug they installed? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Dad also said the serviceman thought the city might have put the lock on. I don't think so!

This is the news that greeted me Thursday evening:

"The service man came by today with his boss who had the key for the plug. Apparently he had one of the keys (removal tool) in his desk, but had never used it and wasn't aware of what it was. Water heater works and was left in pilot light mode. The heater works but the wires to the thermostat are cut and may need to be replaced."

Glad it got resolved. Still kind of concerned about the gas company though. They don't recognize their own plugs? They don't know why they have certain tools?

Anyway, on with the repairs that will allow the notices to be removed: getting rid of illegal wiring and making sure the water heater and normal heater are up to code. Things are moving along nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment