Monday, March 21, 2011

Cool Air

In the morning, I got my ridiculously cheap hall light installed.  It looks good in the freshly painted hall. Yay!


Dad and I spent the day installing the whole house fan.  First, we taped the template up to the ceiling.  Then I drilled starter holes in opposite corners.  Those holes let us see exactly where the fan is going once we got up to the attic.  We got all our tools and geared up to head into the attic.

Dad made the first cuts by plunging the circular saw down into the ceiling.  


Boards went crashing down to the hallway below as Dad made the cut parallel to this one.  Mom wanted a photo of us from inside the house:


I then finished the cuts with the saber saw and sent the last two boards plummeting to the ground.


At this point, I headed down to the hallway.  Dad stayed in place.  I handed him the fan and then the parts for the box to hold it up.  He put those boards in place, and we held up the shutter to make sure it would work and the louvers wouldn't get caught on anything.  Then, I drilled the boards in place from the bottom.


While Dad stapled carpet padding to the shelf, I put caulk in the gaps between boards.  Then Dad put the fan itself in place.  I continued caulking.


Finally, Dad came down and we put up the shutter.  Now, I've got a great fan for keeping the house cool come summertime.


During all this, Mom was in the garage, stripping paint off ceiling trim for the study.  Better than doing the ceiling since the pieces got to be on a table and not overhead.  Thanks, Mom!

Just before dinner, we took off random interior window frames from the bedroom windows so we could see just what was going on with those.  We figured what size of windows to get and have an idea of what repair work in the walls we're going to need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment