Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's A Small World

I got to the house Saturday morning before my parents.  I started scraping the walls of the study to get them prepped for texturing.  When Mom and Dad showed up, we decided to go to the ReStore in Roseville.  More good finds!

Upon walking in, I went to the tile section.  I was immediately blown away by what I found.  A few weeks ago I ordered decorative tiles for the kitchen.  I got to pick brand, color, and size for the design to be printed on.  I chose some that would be easy for me to match locally.  As luck would have it, the exact tiles I need were in great supply here, so I got 230 of them.  Whohoo!!

At the same time, Mom found another overhead fan/light in really good shape with no parts missing.  Dad also found a good shovel and attic vent.  We also found a great well-kept GE gas range.  And this really cool sofa:


Like usual, I'll post the grand total for all this gloriousness at the end.  You should be getting better at guessing prices now. =)

Upon returning from the shopping excursion, we talked with Neighbor.  Dad had a thought he knew her, and he does!  They used to work together and she's quite excited that I'll be her new neighbor.  She said she can give me quite the run down on the history of my house as she's lived next door for 35 years.  Pretty cool, and crazy.

After lunch, I mixed up some joint compound and filled in low spots in the study walls.  When all the low spots get filled in, we'll be able to texture it.  Mom cleaned more ceiling.  It's quite a disgusting job as she's cleaning off years and years of nicotine stains.  Her water turns nasty brown really quickly, but it's making a beautiful difference.

Dad hung my light in the living room.  This was something that took some doing over more than one day.  The house was not originally wired for overhead lights.  The switches are connected to nearby outlets.  A while ago, Dad changed the wiring for the living room, so now the switch is connected overhead and the outlets have nothing to do with the switch.  Final result:  Happy Silk and a nice light.


I left as Dad was hanging the light to go hang out with The Girls.  After our night of fun, it was back to work Sunday.

Dad worked on rewiring the study for an overhead fan/light.  Mom kept cleaning the ceiling.  I applied more joint compound.  By the end of the day, Dad was the only one with anything picture worthy.  Mom had more clean ceiling and I had more compound on the walls.  Dad had another light hung, this time in the study.


While applying joint compound this afternoon, I attempted to sit down to work near the floor.  When I did, I felt something enter my thigh.  I sat on a nail!  It was on a piece of trim that had been taken down.  Luckily, it didn't go far and I had gotten a tetanus booster in October.  Mom put antibacterial and a bandage on it.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, but it should be alright.



Grand total for the shopping trip: $370.22.  How close did you come?

1 comment:

  1. COOL sofa!!! And bummer about your leg - ouch!

    ReplyDelete